Skip to main content

New Beginnings

"Here goes nothing." 
That's been my motto for the last three or four days.

Leaving home on Wednesday was bittersweet, mostly bitter but still bittersweet. I packed up everything in my room, except a little vanity that holds some picture frames I couldn't fit and I said goodbye to my family. Saying goodbye to my family was excruciatingly hard, especially because the longest I've ever had to say goodbye for was six weeks. First I said goodbye to my three younger brothers. It is hard for me to know that I will be missing a huge year in their lives. For Tyler and Thomas this year, junior year, will probably be their hardest year yet and I wish I could be there. I wish I could be there to offer advice, wisdom and tips to help them survive this year because I've been there, I've had the similar classes and I know how this year will be trying. For Coby this year, freshman year, is a huge year of change and I wish I could watch all he becomes but I can't. Reality is I have to keep moving, keep embracing life so I said my goodbyes, praying that they will reach out to their big sister any time they need me. Then came my dog, which seems silly because she's a dog but Molly was the first thing to greet me everyday after school. It was her and I alone together for one to two hours everyday so we became friends and playmates. I will definitely miss my sweet, loving dog. Finally, I said goodbye to my mom which was my hardest "see you later" (until I said goodbye to my dad...then they were tied). I will miss her and I laughing at the same things, her and I sharing conversation, but most of all her mom hugs. After all my tears and goodbyes, my dad and I drove off and started our journey to Texas.

3 days and 2,000 some miles later, we had made it to Texas. My excitement raised as I unloaded my stuff and I settled into my room....well apartment. It is fun to organize and personalize a new space, and I am excited to see how my roommates add to the place we will be sharing.

On the last day my dad was here, Saturday, we did a lot of exploring. I drove to the grocery store, my new church (more to come later), ballet, the doctors office, the airport, really everywhere crucial to get to know the area better. I am learning how to "city drive", if you will, which comes with its own challenges. The constant merging in between thousands of cars which are all going different directions is different than the easy drive through Carlisle streets. I know that soon I will be confident driving through these streets but this is one area where I am still struggling, still learning to adjust.

Sunday, was an early day. I woke up at 4:00 to drive my dad to the airport. Driving there was okay but I knew that yet another goodbye was coming and this one would mark me being on my own 100%. We arrived at the airport and I pulled my red van up to the Southwest airlines drop off and I hugged my dad. A hug that would (hopefully) last until December. I will miss the humor my dad has, the wisdom he shares and the guidance he brings to my life. As I drove off I let my tears fall because at five in the morning when my last piece of home left, fear is the number one thing I felt. 

After falling back asleep once arriving home, I woke up again to get ready for church. The church I will be attending down here is named Austin Stone. This is the church that I attended all summer and I loved it. It seems to have a younger population so I think that getting connected here will be rather easy. Not only that but  the worship is alive and inviting, and the speaking always seems to speak straight to my heart. Of course, there will always be a special place in my heart for the church that I grew up in but  I think it's exciting that I have found somewhere that I am excited to become apart of. 

As I write this and look back at my first few days in Austin, I am happy to say that I am filled with excitement. Two of my three roommates have moved in and I'm already excited about living with them. I think the four of us will have a fun, adventurous and encouraging relationship which will be exactly what I need this year. I also write this with so much appreciation for a lot of you who may be reading this. So many people have reached out to me through Facebook messages, texts, emails, letters and the other various forms of communication and please know that your kind words have brought me so much comfort. I am so thankful for the many people that have been placed in my life because you all have helped me in making this transition.  

All that to say, today begins my first week here and today I will continue to say "here goes nothing" because my dear friends, my adventure is just beginning. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

8 Months Later...

Eight months. That's how long the counseling process took me. It's also, ironically, the last time I published writing to this page. Eight whole months. My healing took almost the same amount of time it takes a new life to grow in a momma's womb. Part of me can't believe it. If I had known when I went into counseling that it would take that long for total healing, I don't know I would have continued. I was scared going in, that's for sure. What do I expect? What do I tell this stranger? How long do I continue to "willingly" dig into who I am and what built me and figure out what hurt me and why? These are some of the questions I thought. But at the same time, the other part of me can't believe it's only been eight months. Eight months of freedom, eight months of redemption, eight months of growth. Only eight months. I wanted to write on this blog several times because I seriously do love writing. I love how words are individual yet they

17 Imprints on my Heart

17 girls, 5 weeks...sounds daunting.  Daunting because for five weeks, I am going to be in charge on seventeen freshman-aged girls.  That's how I felt 6 weeks ago, when I started by job as an RA for CPYB's summer program. I didn't know what to expect. What would each girl bring to our hall, what I would bring to our hall, am I qualified to handle seventeen girls, do I even remember what being fourteen was like? All these doubts ran through my head. I was nervous yet excited, to say the least. Once I met these girls, I quickly realized how extremely humbling it is to have seventeen little sweets run to you. Run to you when they miss home, when they need bugs killed, when they need a smile, when they have questions about life, when they need something to do or  when they need a friend. Suddenly, I was responsible for making sure these kids have the best five weeks of their life.  Let me tell you something though. As much as I hope our five weeks together impact

I Don't Know

I remember "I don't know" was never an acceptable answer in school. It implied you weren't trying, didn't try hard enough or you gave up too soon. I remember thinking "I don't know" was just a huge embarrassment...how could you not know?  A big part of me understands that thought was from pressure I put on myself but there's also a little bit of me that wishes that wasn't something I was set up to believe to be true.  It may seem like that thought is coming out of nowhere (like hello? my last post was December 2016 for crying out loud!!) but lately I've been stuck in this feeling of I don't know . I've said it before , I'm a huge fan of words. The weight words carry, the vulnerability in discussion a can hold and how certain words can be life-changing. I'm also someone who has seldom felt a loss for words. I mean of course there are a few specific occasions that do come to mind; I am an emotional person. Even so, if I&