Skip to main content

Floodgates and Hearts

You know how I would describe my heart? Like a floodgate. A floodgate that, once opened, doesn't stop until everything is out on the table. Like when I feel joy, I feel it until tears fall down my face. When I feel pain, I feel it until all I know is pain. When I feel anxious, all I feel are anxious thoughts instantly flooding to my mind and when I love, I love to my fullest. Maybe that makes me sound like one big emotional goon, but regardless its true. Once I consciously open my heart, suddenly my hidden walls are bashed down and out flow my deepest thoughts, insecurities and realities that I normally just push to the side. Now you, my dear reader, could probably care less to know that but in order for you to process where my thoughts have been, that part of who I am is important to remember. 
I've realized that as much as this blog is for keeping my friends and family up to date, it's also very much for myself. In some ways, this blog is becoming like a public journal (which may or may not be crazy ;) ). Some of my deepest thoughts are best processed if I write them out on here and realizing that, I've decided to make this blog post a bit more personal, so bare with me if you chose to continue... ;) 
Last Thursday I took walk around one of my most favorite parts of Austin, the town lake. While I was walking, enjoying a beautiful 68 degree "winter" day, I was talking to God. As I was talking to Him, a floodgate in my heart just broke open. A floodgate of anxiety. Suddenly I found myself doubting my abilities, my confidence, my past, my future and even my present. It was just this big snowball of "what ifs". I didn't even realize I had all these thoughts built up but once I let one out, everything just seemed to come crashing around me. It was one of those moments where I felt so small that I had to stop and sit down to come back to reality. It was then that I heard this "I will provide. In Me you find your joy". Slowly I came back to reality. I mean here I am in Austin, Texas, taking active steps to live my dream and I'm worried about my past? Hasn't that all lead up to this? (Which, by the way, "this" is way better than I could have imagined.)   I've been here for five months and the Lord has done nothing but provided and here I am worrying about details in my life that don't even matter! I slowly came to the realization that the more I let anxiety rush over me, the more I lose sight of what's truly important: God's perfect love. 
My roommate sent me this beautiful article about self- worth today and I was reminded, which I greatly needed, that God knows me. He knows my abilities and He knows my insecurities, even if I try to hide them. Even more than that, He knows my past, He knows my present, and He most definitely knows my future. I don't know there is any other way to calm anxiety than just resting in that reality. 
It's been a week since I let my anxious heart have it's break out moment and I'm still processing through it all but I've figured out a few things. I figured out that first of all, no matter where I am next year, in three years or even ten years from now, even if it's not what I hoped, it will be just what I need. That's such a hard concept for me to grasp because I like plan for what's next and control what happens to me but I'm learning, I have no idea what I'm doing! Like seriously, who am I to dictate the life that was given, so generously given to me? Second of all, there is no moment in life in which we are not provided. It may feel like I am on my last dollar (which before payday, can sometimes be the case hahaha) or even on my last string of strength for the week but still my God endlessly provides. Endlessly. I don't know if I would fully be grasping that if I didn't let my anxious floodgate burst open for a bit. Finally, I realized I am always loved. On the outside I know this, I mean I am surrounded by the great love of friends and family but on the inside I forget. I forget that even if I wasn't loved by the people I am surrounded by, I would still be loved by the One that matters. The One that knit me together and that will NEVER change. 
As I processed all this, I was reminded of this verse: "It is the Lord who goes before you. He will be with you; He will not leave or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed."  Deuteronomy 31:8 (ESV). And that, my friends, are sweet words I can rest in forever...whatever floodgate is open. My God goes before me, even when I think I'm all alone, He will not forsake me, ever, and that breaks open a whole floodgate of joy. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

8 Months Later...

Eight months. That's how long the counseling process took me. It's also, ironically, the last time I published writing to this page. Eight whole months. My healing took almost the same amount of time it takes a new life to grow in a momma's womb. Part of me can't believe it. If I had known when I went into counseling that it would take that long for total healing, I don't know I would have continued. I was scared going in, that's for sure. What do I expect? What do I tell this stranger? How long do I continue to "willingly" dig into who I am and what built me and figure out what hurt me and why? These are some of the questions I thought. But at the same time, the other part of me can't believe it's only been eight months. Eight months of freedom, eight months of redemption, eight months of growth. Only eight months. I wanted to write on this blog several times because I seriously do love writing. I love how words are individual yet they

17 Imprints on my Heart

17 girls, 5 weeks...sounds daunting.  Daunting because for five weeks, I am going to be in charge on seventeen freshman-aged girls.  That's how I felt 6 weeks ago, when I started by job as an RA for CPYB's summer program. I didn't know what to expect. What would each girl bring to our hall, what I would bring to our hall, am I qualified to handle seventeen girls, do I even remember what being fourteen was like? All these doubts ran through my head. I was nervous yet excited, to say the least. Once I met these girls, I quickly realized how extremely humbling it is to have seventeen little sweets run to you. Run to you when they miss home, when they need bugs killed, when they need a smile, when they have questions about life, when they need something to do or  when they need a friend. Suddenly, I was responsible for making sure these kids have the best five weeks of their life.  Let me tell you something though. As much as I hope our five weeks together impact

I Don't Know

I remember "I don't know" was never an acceptable answer in school. It implied you weren't trying, didn't try hard enough or you gave up too soon. I remember thinking "I don't know" was just a huge embarrassment...how could you not know?  A big part of me understands that thought was from pressure I put on myself but there's also a little bit of me that wishes that wasn't something I was set up to believe to be true.  It may seem like that thought is coming out of nowhere (like hello? my last post was December 2016 for crying out loud!!) but lately I've been stuck in this feeling of I don't know . I've said it before , I'm a huge fan of words. The weight words carry, the vulnerability in discussion a can hold and how certain words can be life-changing. I'm also someone who has seldom felt a loss for words. I mean of course there are a few specific occasions that do come to mind; I am an emotional person. Even so, if I&