Skip to main content

That Little Grey Weight

I love clouds. I love how fascinating they are, how they can be a great paradox. Like clouds are so weightless but yet they can be so heavy, they're so far away but yet they can surround us, they add such beauty but yet can be so ugly. I love them yet I hate them just as much.  Now, I may have just confused you out of your mind so its probably important to note that I am comparing two separate clouds: physical clouds and a metaphorical cloud. See I love physical clouds. I love how unique every one is, how they can add such personality to the sky. I love how weightless they are yet how much weight they add when it comes to beauty. So why do I hate clouds? Let me tell you.

I've been stuck in a cloud for probably three weeks now. It's not one of those "I'm on cloud nine" clouds, it's one of those "I hate what I see", "what if", tiring, doubt-filled, ever present, grey clouds. It's this constant weight that just surrounds me. I'm not sure how it sucked me up or what brought it on but it's here, loud and clear. 

I feel it most when I look at myself while dancing. Whenever I see myself, I don't see anything beautiful. I know that my friends reading this will try and give me encouraging words, which trust me I am so grateful for, but that doesn't necessarily mean I will believe it. I'm not writing this for a pity peal either because I am happy! I love Austin, I love my friends and family and I know God is doing amazing things in my life but as happy as I am, sometimes doubt just covers my heart and that's when my grey cloud comes back.

I know this post is not as cheery and bright as I usually try to be but its an honest, realistic look at my heart lately. Thankfully, this cloud is teaching me some things, as grey clouds usually do. First of all, I'm learning to re-evaluate my definition of success. I think part of the reason this grey cloud came upon me is because I lost sight of true success: living a life that fully glorifies God. Especially in this season, audition season, it's so easy for me to get wrapped up in my own desires that I forget God has a plan for me. It may not be what I want but it's exactly what I need. Whenever my grey cloud rains down hard on me, I'm learning to try and remember this. If I don't, there is no way I will get out of my grey cloud anytime soon. I'm also learning to constantly remind myself that I have value. I know this, I do, but sometimes I just get so caught up with what I see and how I compare that I forget. It's taken a lot for me to admit that because I usually describe myself as a confident person but sometimes my confidence takes a blow and I lose sight of my value. I hope anyone reading this, myself included, can take a moment and just remember that we, all of us, are cherished, valued and worthy children of God, our ever loving Father. No matter what we may be feeling, seeing or thinking, that will always ring true and I'm having to remind myself daily of that. Most importantly, I'm learning that we all go through seasons. We all have ups and downs and to feel this way is okay, as long as it doesn't consume me. Sometimes I beat myself up so hard because I walk through a rough patch. I almost feel like I should be able to control myself better so that doubt doesn't consume me but the more I try to control, the more I freak myself out. 

Finally accepting that I have been in a grey cloud, has helped it lift a little bit. I think I will constantly feel a "baby cloud" for these next couple of audition months but at least I'm learning how to work through it. If you're reading this and you have your own grey cloud, know I'm praying for you, for me, for us. I know it's exhausting but I can only hope that once I get through my cloud, I'll be free to see the sun, white clouds and all. 

Comments

  1. let's imagine my current lil grey cloud is beside yours and we can anticipate God's big uplifting hug together. You have articulated that cloaking cloud concept well !

    And it is the grey season when those perennial bulbs push through the hard and barren earth, promising us hope with beauty blossoms soon! Looking forward to daffodils as sunshine !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

8 Months Later...

Eight months. That's how long the counseling process took me. It's also, ironically, the last time I published writing to this page. Eight whole months. My healing took almost the same amount of time it takes a new life to grow in a momma's womb. Part of me can't believe it. If I had known when I went into counseling that it would take that long for total healing, I don't know I would have continued. I was scared going in, that's for sure. What do I expect? What do I tell this stranger? How long do I continue to "willingly" dig into who I am and what built me and figure out what hurt me and why? These are some of the questions I thought. But at the same time, the other part of me can't believe it's only been eight months. Eight months of freedom, eight months of redemption, eight months of growth. Only eight months. I wanted to write on this blog several times because I seriously do love writing. I love how words are individual yet they

17 Imprints on my Heart

17 girls, 5 weeks...sounds daunting.  Daunting because for five weeks, I am going to be in charge on seventeen freshman-aged girls.  That's how I felt 6 weeks ago, when I started by job as an RA for CPYB's summer program. I didn't know what to expect. What would each girl bring to our hall, what I would bring to our hall, am I qualified to handle seventeen girls, do I even remember what being fourteen was like? All these doubts ran through my head. I was nervous yet excited, to say the least. Once I met these girls, I quickly realized how extremely humbling it is to have seventeen little sweets run to you. Run to you when they miss home, when they need bugs killed, when they need a smile, when they have questions about life, when they need something to do or  when they need a friend. Suddenly, I was responsible for making sure these kids have the best five weeks of their life.  Let me tell you something though. As much as I hope our five weeks together impact

I Don't Know

I remember "I don't know" was never an acceptable answer in school. It implied you weren't trying, didn't try hard enough or you gave up too soon. I remember thinking "I don't know" was just a huge embarrassment...how could you not know?  A big part of me understands that thought was from pressure I put on myself but there's also a little bit of me that wishes that wasn't something I was set up to believe to be true.  It may seem like that thought is coming out of nowhere (like hello? my last post was December 2016 for crying out loud!!) but lately I've been stuck in this feeling of I don't know . I've said it before , I'm a huge fan of words. The weight words carry, the vulnerability in discussion a can hold and how certain words can be life-changing. I'm also someone who has seldom felt a loss for words. I mean of course there are a few specific occasions that do come to mind; I am an emotional person. Even so, if I&