Skip to main content

Here We Are...

May 15, 2016. I remember sitting back home last August and marking this day as "Last day in Austin" in my phone. I was so worried, how was I going to make in 9 months in Austin...alone? That would be the longest 9 months of my life.

Here we are though. May 15th, 2016 and this season is coming to an end. I think part of me is still in denial because while this year was probably the most trying thing I've ever been through, it's probably been the most beautiful. In so many ways, I've grown. I've grown as a dancer, undoubtedly, I've grown as a person, I've grown as a daughter, I've grown as a sister, I've grown as a friend and most importantly, I've grown as a Christian. In all areas of my life I have grown. There were definitely points in this year where I just wanted to go back. Go back to Carlisle, Pennsylvania, back to high school, back to my friends and family and the life I've always known but I'm so glad I didn't or rather, couldn't. Looking back on this year, I know I was brought here for so many reasons. All of them good, even when they didn't seem so in the moment.

What amazes me most is how much God continuously provided me. I remember in the beginning of the year my dad said, "Kayla, I know you have this crazy Kayla Survives On Her Own hashtag but you are not alone." In the moment, I heard what he said but I didn't take it to heart. I mean C'mon, I'm in Austin, Texas by myself, dad. I am surviving alone. Looking back though, what he said was so true. For starters, God gave me my beautiful roommates: Sarah, Kimberly and Constance. I love these girls more than words could ever say. It's because of them that I wasn't alone. From learning to cook together to laughing everyday together, I was so lucky to come home to them everyday. Then, God brought me all these beautiful dancers to learn from and with. Every single person I met here this year is so unique, talented and wonderful in their own ways. At first being away from my second home, CPYB, was so hard and I missed all the people I grew up with but I quickly realized that I had a great opportunity right in front of me. Here I was, surrounded by a whole new group of people with whom I got to know, dance beside and  experience this crazy dance journey. I know that everyone who I danced with this year will be successful, where ever life takes them and I'm grateful knowing that for most of them, today isn't a goodbye. Finally, I wasn't alone because I had you. You, my dear reader, gave me strength. Whether you are my mom or dad (hi I love you), closest friend (you rock), acquaintance (nice to meet you), friend of a friend (thanks for stopping by and reading this), just someone who stumbled upon my blog or whoever you are, just knowing you are reading this gives me strength. All the comments, texts, messages, likes, what have you, constantly reminded me that I am one blessed girl so thank you. Dad was right when he told me I wasn't alone because thanks to God and all the beautiful blessings he put in my life, I never was.

As excited as I am for #KaylaSurvivesOnHerOwn, to take a 3 month pause, I'm going to miss these growing up adventures. Life is one beautiful thing and I'm so grateful to be taking it by the horns (Texas is getting to me, y'all ;) ) and going for it. I don't know what next year holds, or 10 years from now looks like but I do what this year taught me; God provides, God is good and I am never alone. May 15th, 2016 is here and contrary to my previous belief, I don't think these past nine months could have gone any faster.  


Comments

  1. Hello Kayla. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India. I have enjoyed your post which has a running theme of growth being away for nine months in Austin for learning dance. Your growth in Christian faith and mention of God's provision are very much reflected in your post. I have been blessed while going through your post. I am blessed and feel privileged and honored to get connected with you as well as know you through your profile on the blogger and the blog post because of who you are in the Lord Jesus Christ. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged, strengthened and praying for one another. h HAVE BEEN IN THE PASTORAL MINISTRY for last 37 yrs in this great city of MUMBAI a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest ofpoor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the broken hearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai with your friends to work with us during your vacation time. I am sure you will have a life changing experience. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you, your family and friends and also wishing you a blessed and a Christ centered rest of the year 2016

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kayla. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India. I have enjoyed your post which has a running theme of growth being away for nine months in Austin for learning dance. Your growth in Christian faith and mention of God's provision are very much reflected in your post. I have been blessed while going through your post. I am blessed and feel privileged and honored to get connected with you as well as know you through your profile on the blogger and the blog post because of who you are in the Lord Jesus Christ. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged, strengthened and praying for one another. h HAVE BEEN IN THE PASTORAL MINISTRY for last 37 yrs in this great city of MUMBAI a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest ofpoor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the broken hearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai with your friends to work with us during your vacation time. I am sure you will have a life changing experience. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you, your family and friends and also wishing you a blessed and a Christ centered rest of the year 2016

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

8 Months Later...

Eight months. That's how long the counseling process took me. It's also, ironically, the last time I published writing to this page. Eight whole months. My healing took almost the same amount of time it takes a new life to grow in a momma's womb. Part of me can't believe it. If I had known when I went into counseling that it would take that long for total healing, I don't know I would have continued. I was scared going in, that's for sure. What do I expect? What do I tell this stranger? How long do I continue to "willingly" dig into who I am and what built me and figure out what hurt me and why? These are some of the questions I thought. But at the same time, the other part of me can't believe it's only been eight months. Eight months of freedom, eight months of redemption, eight months of growth. Only eight months. I wanted to write on this blog several times because I seriously do love writing. I love how words are individual yet they

17 Imprints on my Heart

17 girls, 5 weeks...sounds daunting.  Daunting because for five weeks, I am going to be in charge on seventeen freshman-aged girls.  That's how I felt 6 weeks ago, when I started by job as an RA for CPYB's summer program. I didn't know what to expect. What would each girl bring to our hall, what I would bring to our hall, am I qualified to handle seventeen girls, do I even remember what being fourteen was like? All these doubts ran through my head. I was nervous yet excited, to say the least. Once I met these girls, I quickly realized how extremely humbling it is to have seventeen little sweets run to you. Run to you when they miss home, when they need bugs killed, when they need a smile, when they have questions about life, when they need something to do or  when they need a friend. Suddenly, I was responsible for making sure these kids have the best five weeks of their life.  Let me tell you something though. As much as I hope our five weeks together impact

I Don't Know

I remember "I don't know" was never an acceptable answer in school. It implied you weren't trying, didn't try hard enough or you gave up too soon. I remember thinking "I don't know" was just a huge embarrassment...how could you not know?  A big part of me understands that thought was from pressure I put on myself but there's also a little bit of me that wishes that wasn't something I was set up to believe to be true.  It may seem like that thought is coming out of nowhere (like hello? my last post was December 2016 for crying out loud!!) but lately I've been stuck in this feeling of I don't know . I've said it before , I'm a huge fan of words. The weight words carry, the vulnerability in discussion a can hold and how certain words can be life-changing. I'm also someone who has seldom felt a loss for words. I mean of course there are a few specific occasions that do come to mind; I am an emotional person. Even so, if I&