Skip to main content

#KaylaThrivesOnHerOwn

Necessary. If I had to describe this summer in one word, that's the word I would choose. This summer was absolutely necessary for me, for my outlook on life and especially for me to make it through another year in Austin. That may sound depressing or scary but if you think about it, it makes sense. Last year was a big one for me. Straight out of high school, I took on a lot. Living on my own, cooking for myself, working two jobs, paying bills, all while trying to focus on my dance career.  I don't write that to complain, look for pity, hint for compliments or any such response. I knew what I chose to get myself into so I write that because for you to understand why this summer was necessary, you need to understand what my year looked like. While I learned, experience and grew so much from this past year I needed a break from literally trying to survive (hence, the ever famous #KaylaSurvivesOnHerOwn).

So I came home and I got back to life in Carlisle. I took a vacation with my family, I learned about a transition we were about to embark on, I worked my summer job, I took classes, I hung out with my friends and then August hit and I made a decision. August was going to be "me" month. I would spend August to reflect on this past year, to anticipate this coming year, to spend more time with God, but most importantly take three weeks away from ballet. To anyone reading this who is dancer, you're probably thinking: "What's wrong with you? Why aren't you in the studio working so you can get better? Don't you love it?" and I would reply, yes. I love it so much that I needed time away. I needed time to step back from constantly beating myself up when I looked in the mirror, I needed time to really process what I wanted to get out this year, what I wanted to get out of the future in my career and how to go about life without letting ballet, and all the thoughts that come with it, consume me. See by the end of the season, I was consumed by doubt, anxiety, fear and so many other things that were masking why I loved to dance but more importantly, masking my trust in God. Over this month by letting my thoughts quiet down a little bit I was reminded (with the help of some friends and family :)) that I am a child of God who happens to dance, rather than a dancer who is a child of God.  I am loved because of who I am in Him, not because of who I am as a dancer. I don't have to be afraid of the future because of Him, not because of what others say. I don't have to find my worth in my body because He thought I was worth dying for.



Since remembering this, I anticipate this year will look a different for me. I'm going to try to stress less and experience more, to control less and trust more, to fear less and hope more. I want to thrive more and survive less. Merriam Webster describes "Thrive (v)" as this:   to flourish or succeed; to progress toward or realize a goal despite or because of circumstances. This year, I want to flourish. Flourish as a follower of Christ, as an adult and as a dancer and because I've taken three weeks to really process and acknowledge this, I'm ready. I'm ready to adult (and all that brings) again, I'm ready take to dance my heart out, I'm ready to thrive.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

8 Months Later...

Eight months. That's how long the counseling process took me. It's also, ironically, the last time I published writing to this page. Eight whole months. My healing took almost the same amount of time it takes a new life to grow in a momma's womb. Part of me can't believe it. If I had known when I went into counseling that it would take that long for total healing, I don't know I would have continued. I was scared going in, that's for sure. What do I expect? What do I tell this stranger? How long do I continue to "willingly" dig into who I am and what built me and figure out what hurt me and why? These are some of the questions I thought. But at the same time, the other part of me can't believe it's only been eight months. Eight months of freedom, eight months of redemption, eight months of growth. Only eight months. I wanted to write on this blog several times because I seriously do love writing. I love how words are individual yet they

17 Imprints on my Heart

17 girls, 5 weeks...sounds daunting.  Daunting because for five weeks, I am going to be in charge on seventeen freshman-aged girls.  That's how I felt 6 weeks ago, when I started by job as an RA for CPYB's summer program. I didn't know what to expect. What would each girl bring to our hall, what I would bring to our hall, am I qualified to handle seventeen girls, do I even remember what being fourteen was like? All these doubts ran through my head. I was nervous yet excited, to say the least. Once I met these girls, I quickly realized how extremely humbling it is to have seventeen little sweets run to you. Run to you when they miss home, when they need bugs killed, when they need a smile, when they have questions about life, when they need something to do or  when they need a friend. Suddenly, I was responsible for making sure these kids have the best five weeks of their life.  Let me tell you something though. As much as I hope our five weeks together impact

I Don't Know

I remember "I don't know" was never an acceptable answer in school. It implied you weren't trying, didn't try hard enough or you gave up too soon. I remember thinking "I don't know" was just a huge embarrassment...how could you not know?  A big part of me understands that thought was from pressure I put on myself but there's also a little bit of me that wishes that wasn't something I was set up to believe to be true.  It may seem like that thought is coming out of nowhere (like hello? my last post was December 2016 for crying out loud!!) but lately I've been stuck in this feeling of I don't know . I've said it before , I'm a huge fan of words. The weight words carry, the vulnerability in discussion a can hold and how certain words can be life-changing. I'm also someone who has seldom felt a loss for words. I mean of course there are a few specific occasions that do come to mind; I am an emotional person. Even so, if I&