Skip to main content

All About That Journey

We all know those quotes. The ones that talk about how life is all fine if you just look at the bigger picture. Quotes like: "find joy in your journey" or "after a storm, there's always a rainbow". You've heard them, seen them, maybe even said them (guilty: 13 year old facebook status' can really kill ya looking back) but can I just be real honest about all of those quotes? Those quotes, they make me want to gag. 

You see, I can read those quotes over and over again, hoping to get something out of them that will want me to continue on my "journey" but all is see is just fluff. Nothing in those quotes are going to want to make me continue on my so called "journey", especially when it's hard. 

I'm a lover of words. Words that carefully thought out, well delivered and truth speaking. Which in turn, makes me a lover of quotes. After all the title of this blog comes from my favorite quote. That being said, I'm a lover of quotes that are rooted in reality, screaming hope, and honest. Quotes like this one by Albert Camus: "In the depths of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." or this one by Henry David Thoreau: "You must live in the present, launch yourself on every way, find your eternity in each moment. Fools stand on their island opportunities and look towards another land. There is no other land, there is no other life but this." To me, those speak volumes, they resonate with my soul. Those words want me to actually look at this "journey", even when it's hard.

I'm about the embark on week four of this season and it's already proven to be one that will push me beyond my previous limits. I'm going to have to dig deep and for the first time, focus solely on making it through each day, each mile of this life journey. For a while I didn't want to do that, I just wanted to fly through this year and keep my eyes on my future hopes: a contract somewhere. I think this year though is making me do exactly what those cliché and not cliché quotes are saying. This year, I'm learning I need to embrace this journey. Not look for the future, anticipate what could come but to really take time to process each and everyday and where it pushes me, mentally, emotionally, physically and spiritually. I'm learning this year I need to find my "invincible summer" and not stand on my "island of opportunities and look at another".  I need to take each storm and "look for the rainbow" and of course, "find joy in the journey" that this year will bring. As cliché as that all just sounded, each day I'm finding it's ringing more and more true.

My brother, Tyler,  has recently been writing for "The Sentinel", a local newspaper in our town, about his senior year cross country season and what is looks like in his eyes. His last article  is one that resonated and inspired me greatly. In it, he wrote this: "Dreaming is believing, but over-focusing on the future can be detrimental." I'm making Tyler's quote the quote for my season because it's so true. I have this year, a hard but important year , and I can either take what it's teaching me and accept it or dwell simply on the future which, as Tyler says, will be detrimental. So, I'll choose to accept it. I'll stand tall and proud on my island, take each storm as it hits and  who knows, maybe I'll even look for each rainbow. ;)


Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

8 Months Later...

Eight months. That's how long the counseling process took me. It's also, ironically, the last time I published writing to this page. Eight whole months. My healing took almost the same amount of time it takes a new life to grow in a momma's womb. Part of me can't believe it. If I had known when I went into counseling that it would take that long for total healing, I don't know I would have continued. I was scared going in, that's for sure. What do I expect? What do I tell this stranger? How long do I continue to "willingly" dig into who I am and what built me and figure out what hurt me and why? These are some of the questions I thought. But at the same time, the other part of me can't believe it's only been eight months. Eight months of freedom, eight months of redemption, eight months of growth. Only eight months. I wanted to write on this blog several times because I seriously do love writing. I love how words are individual yet they

17 Imprints on my Heart

17 girls, 5 weeks...sounds daunting.  Daunting because for five weeks, I am going to be in charge on seventeen freshman-aged girls.  That's how I felt 6 weeks ago, when I started by job as an RA for CPYB's summer program. I didn't know what to expect. What would each girl bring to our hall, what I would bring to our hall, am I qualified to handle seventeen girls, do I even remember what being fourteen was like? All these doubts ran through my head. I was nervous yet excited, to say the least. Once I met these girls, I quickly realized how extremely humbling it is to have seventeen little sweets run to you. Run to you when they miss home, when they need bugs killed, when they need a smile, when they have questions about life, when they need something to do or  when they need a friend. Suddenly, I was responsible for making sure these kids have the best five weeks of their life.  Let me tell you something though. As much as I hope our five weeks together impact

I Don't Know

I remember "I don't know" was never an acceptable answer in school. It implied you weren't trying, didn't try hard enough or you gave up too soon. I remember thinking "I don't know" was just a huge embarrassment...how could you not know?  A big part of me understands that thought was from pressure I put on myself but there's also a little bit of me that wishes that wasn't something I was set up to believe to be true.  It may seem like that thought is coming out of nowhere (like hello? my last post was December 2016 for crying out loud!!) but lately I've been stuck in this feeling of I don't know . I've said it before , I'm a huge fan of words. The weight words carry, the vulnerability in discussion a can hold and how certain words can be life-changing. I'm also someone who has seldom felt a loss for words. I mean of course there are a few specific occasions that do come to mind; I am an emotional person. Even so, if I&