Skip to main content

I Don't Know

I remember "I don't know" was never an acceptable answer in school. It implied you weren't trying, didn't try hard enough or you gave up too soon. I remember thinking "I don't know" was just a huge embarrassment...how could you not know?  A big part of me understands that thought was from pressure I put on myself but there's also a little bit of me that wishes that wasn't something I was set up to believe to be true. 

It may seem like that thought is coming out of nowhere (like hello? my last post was December 2016 for crying out loud!!) but lately I've been stuck in this feeling of I don't know. I've said it before, I'm a huge fan of words. The weight words carry, the vulnerability in discussion a can hold and how certain words can be life-changing. I'm also someone who has seldom felt a loss for words. I mean of course there are a few specific occasions that do come to mind; I am an emotional person. Even so, if I'm not talking many words, I am most definitely thinking or processing them. Over the last three months though, I can honestly say I've been at a loss for words. Words that I could publicly share like this. Even though I'm usually an open and honest person, these last few months I've had more honest with myself that I don't know. Let me explain.

I'm a big dreamer. I have so many different dreams: to be a professional dancer, one that is strong, unique, and draws attention in her decisions both on and off stage, to be a devoted wife and a loving mother whenever that my be, to graduate from college (ya girl can only dance for so long), to write a book (a new dream), to travel out of the country, to show someone the beauty of Christ, to possibly own a business, the list goes on. I'm also passionate. I love life and I love living every part of it to the fullest.  All that to say, I've realized when both of those aren't qualities aren't being pushed, I feel stuck. This year has s t r e t c h e d me so hard that I've begun to question a lot. Some good questions, some bad questions. Some days I feel like I'm exactly where I need to be but most days I don't know

It's hard for me to sit here and write that my heart is in a place where I don't know what I want next. I have all these dreams and some of them are starting to carry more weight than I realized they had. I've mentioned in a previous post that I prayed this year that God would create in me a new heart and over the last few months, He has been revealing to me just how broken I am and just how desperate I am for Him. Part of me feels like He's calling me to just run to Him and rest in Him and part of me feels like He's sending me to be a light for Him but I don't know

I'm reading a book right now, "The Broken Way" by Ann Voskamp, and it is so amazing. I've never really had a book (that's not the Bible, of course), be like balm to my soul but this one in so many ways does that for me. Anyway, one of the things that she wrote and I've been dwelling on is: Christ was sent to us to be broken, and if we are made in the image of God, maybe we were made to be broken too? Right now, my brokenness is stemming from I don't know but if I'm made in the image of Christ to be broken, maybe that brokenness of I don't know is acceptable, maybe it is okay. She also says: "In Christ--no matter the way, the storm, the story--we always know the outcome. Our Savior-- surrounds. Our future--secure. Our joy--certain." Which brings me peace. I've always wanted to live a life that most glorifies God. If that means living in the "brokenness" of I don't know for a little bit, letting the weight of my dreams change for the moment, waiting on the clarity of His next move for me, then I will surrender. Surrender to the peace that my joy is certain because of Him. 

Jon Bellion has this song called "Maybe IDK". I first heard it last year when a friend shared it with me and while I liked it then, I've found myself really listening to it these last few days. The chorus goes like this: 
Although I guess if I knew tomorrow
I guess I wouldn't need faith
I guess if I never fell, I guess I wouldn't need grace

I guess if I knew His plans, I guess He wouldn't be God
So maybe I don't know, maybe I don't know
Maybe I don't know, maybe I don't know
But maybe that's okay
Maybe that's okay, maybe that's okay
Maybe I don't know, maybe I don't know
But maybe that's okay

I'm not sure how devoted of a believer Jon Bellion is and  I don't really need to because to me this song speaks truth. I don't know God's exact plan for me right now, and that's okay. I don't know what beauty will come out of my current "brokenness", and that's okay. Right now I don't know, and I'm learning that's okay







For your viewing pleasure if you desire:





Comments

  1. I think you are a great writer and if and when you get to writing that book I would love to read it! For now you've really peeked my interest with Ann Voskamps book though! I'll have to get my hands on a copy. I love what you've shared in this blog post and think you are absolutely right in saying that we are made in his image and that brokenness comes with that, but also so does the glory and the rising with him in due time!!! <3 God Bless!

    ~Lillian

    www.theoccupiedoptimist.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

8 Months Later...

Eight months. That's how long the counseling process took me. It's also, ironically, the last time I published writing to this page. Eight whole months. My healing took almost the same amount of time it takes a new life to grow in a momma's womb. Part of me can't believe it. If I had known when I went into counseling that it would take that long for total healing, I don't know I would have continued. I was scared going in, that's for sure. What do I expect? What do I tell this stranger? How long do I continue to "willingly" dig into who I am and what built me and figure out what hurt me and why? These are some of the questions I thought. But at the same time, the other part of me can't believe it's only been eight months. Eight months of freedom, eight months of redemption, eight months of growth. Only eight months. I wanted to write on this blog several times because I seriously do love writing. I love how words are individual yet they

17 Imprints on my Heart

17 girls, 5 weeks...sounds daunting.  Daunting because for five weeks, I am going to be in charge on seventeen freshman-aged girls.  That's how I felt 6 weeks ago, when I started by job as an RA for CPYB's summer program. I didn't know what to expect. What would each girl bring to our hall, what I would bring to our hall, am I qualified to handle seventeen girls, do I even remember what being fourteen was like? All these doubts ran through my head. I was nervous yet excited, to say the least. Once I met these girls, I quickly realized how extremely humbling it is to have seventeen little sweets run to you. Run to you when they miss home, when they need bugs killed, when they need a smile, when they have questions about life, when they need something to do or  when they need a friend. Suddenly, I was responsible for making sure these kids have the best five weeks of their life.  Let me tell you something though. As much as I hope our five weeks together impact