Skip to main content

A Freeing New Reality

Sigh.

That's how this blog post literally started for me. I turned off my music, sighed and started typing. I know that seems silly because hello I'm the author of this blog, I can write whatever I want, so why write something I have to "sigh" about? Well, part of me really wants to write this blog post. I've known since the beginning of April that this post was coming, I just didn't necessarily know when I would be able to write it. I didn't know because honestly, this one is a scary one for me. It's scary because, well, I'm going to be reallyyy vulnerable, reallyyy honest, and reallyyy trusting. 

You see, I have flaws (shocker, right? ;) ). But seriously, I have many flaws. One of them is something I've been working on since high school, maybe even middle school. I care a lot, I mean a lot about what others think of me. Part of me thinks it's good sometimes, I value community, being held accountable and people speaking into my life  but other times, it can be debilitating. Debilitating because I want so badly to not let others down that it's hard to be honest with myself about myself. That's where the vulnerability, honesty and trust comes in for this blog post. 

The reality is that life is going to be changing a lot for me this next year. From where home will be now to how I'm trusting God with my dreams, none of it's how I pictured at the beginning of this season. While I want to be honest with those who love and support me, it's taken me a lot of processing, some emotional breakdowns and time to have to the courage to share with the public all because of my flaw of caring what others think. 

I suppose that sets me up to stop beating around the bush and get to the point, so here goes. At the beginning of this season, I remember saying to my dad "after all the hurt and disappointment I went throughout last season, I'm not sure I could make it through this season and not get a contract dancing somewhere. I think that would absolutely crush me." And folks, that happened. I auditioned for 11 different places and sent a video to about 9 or 10 others and I didn't get a single positive response from any of them. I was also not promoted here at Ballet Austin. The crazy thing is, I don't know if I was necessarily crushed like I was anticipating. I mean don't get me wrong, the emotional breakdowns came because I've worked 14 years for this and suddenly it won't be my reality, but all in all I know that right now not having a contract isn't necessarily a bad thing. 

I've mentioned before that this season has been, without a doubt, the hardest season of my life. Battling with comparison and confidence, and not feeling fulfilled by the performance opportunities every dancer longs for, I quickly lost sight of why I love to dance. This breaks my heart. I still have a dream to be a professional dancer but it's hard to imagine yourself being successful when all you can see is the brokenness of the dance world. I think God blessing me with this heart breaking year (very ironic, I know) has reminded me that ultimately, I can trust him with my dreams. I wasn't crushed because I have learned to let go and remember that He is in control and His good plan for my future will satisfy me, even though it's different than I've imagined. 

That leads me to the true point of this post: my plans for next year. I've decided to move to Elk Grove, CA with my family. With no contract in Austin, I don't really have a reason to stay here. I love this city and my job at Anthropologie but I think one of the things I need most right now is personal healing. Personal healing where I can be surrounded by those who love me most, meet new people who can invest in me, and embrace a new reality. I hope to start my college degree at a local community college there (lol at being a freshman with my two younger brothers), work, maybe teach ballet, and keep dancing to be able to audition next season. I don't necessarily think my dance career is over. I'm not one to just give up, but I do know that I need to fully love myself before I can invest any more time into a career of this kind in a career field that is so mentally, physically and emotionally taxing. See, I aspire to be a dancer that doesn't just inspire on stage but also all throughout life, and right now I'm not at a place to completely do that in a way that will glorify God. 

But, you see, that last paragraph is why this post has been so hard for me to imagine writing these last couple weeks. I know people will read it, maybe respond, and probably have opinions. I don't want to let the teachers who have spent years investing in me down, I don't want to let the people who didn't think I could make it feel like they were right, and most of all, I don't want to look like a failure. Processing this post has forced me to swallow my pride, my fears of looking like failure to others, and relying on the only truth I know right now: that because I have God, I am more valuable than what others think, I am more worthy than I may feel in this new season, and most of all, I am FREE. I am free from the weight of failure, I am free from the guilt of "not being good enough" and I am free to hope on the beautiful future that my Father promises me. In my new reality I will rest in that and I hope that you will be inspired to be too. 





Comments

  1. You are a daughter of the King. This is all part of His plan...stepping stones to where He wants to use you and your incredible gift of dance. Thanks for always sharing what's real in your life. ��

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love This! Praise God for the freedom you have gained. This post reminds me of two verses:

    Matthew 10:32
    Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it.

    AND

    Romans 5:1-5
    5 Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.

    God Bless!

    Lillian
    www.theoccupiedoptimist.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you ever considered auditioning for a company like Ballet Magnificat? I feel like with your passions for dance, travel, and Jesus, it would be an option that incorperates all those things...

    You can always google them for more information or get in touch with me if you want some insight from someone who dances for them! ^_^

    Lillian
    www.theoccupiedoptimist.com

    ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

8 Months Later...

Eight months. That's how long the counseling process took me. It's also, ironically, the last time I published writing to this page. Eight whole months. My healing took almost the same amount of time it takes a new life to grow in a momma's womb. Part of me can't believe it. If I had known when I went into counseling that it would take that long for total healing, I don't know I would have continued. I was scared going in, that's for sure. What do I expect? What do I tell this stranger? How long do I continue to "willingly" dig into who I am and what built me and figure out what hurt me and why? These are some of the questions I thought. But at the same time, the other part of me can't believe it's only been eight months. Eight months of freedom, eight months of redemption, eight months of growth. Only eight months. I wanted to write on this blog several times because I seriously do love writing. I love how words are individual yet they

17 Imprints on my Heart

17 girls, 5 weeks...sounds daunting.  Daunting because for five weeks, I am going to be in charge on seventeen freshman-aged girls.  That's how I felt 6 weeks ago, when I started by job as an RA for CPYB's summer program. I didn't know what to expect. What would each girl bring to our hall, what I would bring to our hall, am I qualified to handle seventeen girls, do I even remember what being fourteen was like? All these doubts ran through my head. I was nervous yet excited, to say the least. Once I met these girls, I quickly realized how extremely humbling it is to have seventeen little sweets run to you. Run to you when they miss home, when they need bugs killed, when they need a smile, when they have questions about life, when they need something to do or  when they need a friend. Suddenly, I was responsible for making sure these kids have the best five weeks of their life.  Let me tell you something though. As much as I hope our five weeks together impact

I Don't Know

I remember "I don't know" was never an acceptable answer in school. It implied you weren't trying, didn't try hard enough or you gave up too soon. I remember thinking "I don't know" was just a huge embarrassment...how could you not know?  A big part of me understands that thought was from pressure I put on myself but there's also a little bit of me that wishes that wasn't something I was set up to believe to be true.  It may seem like that thought is coming out of nowhere (like hello? my last post was December 2016 for crying out loud!!) but lately I've been stuck in this feeling of I don't know . I've said it before , I'm a huge fan of words. The weight words carry, the vulnerability in discussion a can hold and how certain words can be life-changing. I'm also someone who has seldom felt a loss for words. I mean of course there are a few specific occasions that do come to mind; I am an emotional person. Even so, if I&