Skip to main content

Three Hundred And Sixty Five

I'm so thankful.

I've been sitting at my computer for the past month trying to adequately explain that in a nice blog post. I've tried to incorporate life metaphors, great opening lines, imagery from the creek right outside our window, so many stinking ways to just say I'm so thankful.

I know, this time of year Thankfulness is always so emphasized. I hear ya with the argument that we should be thankful all year round. I also hear you with the argument that we shouldn't spend a day being thankful and then spend the next 4 spending all our money on super sales both in stores and online. I hear you with all the arguments but here I am just saying I'm so thankful.

I'm so thankful because 365 days ago, I was a very different person. Of course, I was still Kayla Justine Hallman. I still had a lot of the same dreams, the same pet peeves, the same habits & nervous ticks but deep down inside I was a very broken, worn out girl. I was tired of life kicking me in the butt, I was tired of questioning if God was a good God and I was most definitely tired of trying to be thankful. 365 days is a lot of time though and God is a really big God.

Here's the thing, 365 days ago I wouldn't have imagined my life as it is right now. I definitely didn't think I would become the Ballet Director at a local school here in Elk Grove, choreograph a full Nutcracker and absolutely love every second of it. I didn't think that I would find the most inspiring dancers and teachers at that school and fall in love with dance in a way that I never have before. I didn't think that I would work at a pilates studio, or own my own skincare business. I didn't think that I would move to California and feel so at peace about it. I didn't think that God would take my broken dreams and make them so much more than I ever could have hoped. I didn't think God was big enough to make any of that happen, especially when my friends' parents have cancer, my brothers have college to choose and pay for and there's death & disease happening all over the world. But, God is a big God.

I've been wrestling with this idea lately, the idea of God being so big. It's kind of mind blowing actually. If move across the country and have people in every time zone that you're trying to communicate with, you start to get an idea of how big God must be. His life is probably like that times ten million. Then it hits me that I'll probably never even know how big God is...and that's even crazier.

Even still, I do know this: God is big enough to see me in my deepest, darkest days. He's big enough to see me then because He was big enough to die on the cross for me hundreds of generations before I was even a thought. He's big enough to see me then because when my DNA was knit together in my momma's womb, He looked at it and said "It is good." He's big enough to say "Kayla, I know the plans I have for you. See the birds and how I provide for them? Aren't you so much more valuable? I will provide for you" (Jeremiah 29:11 & Matthew 6:25-26).  He's big enough to orchestrate a life that I could have never imagined in 365 days and for that I am so thankful.

So, I don't really have a fancy, inspiring, outlook changing blog post for you, my sweet reader. I just have this truth that I'm discovering. God is a big God. He's bigger than I'll ever know but I'm starting to understand that. God is a sweet God. He's a sweet God because in 365 days He can take a broken girl and breathe fresh life into her lungs, in ways she never expected. Most of all, God indeed is a good God because He gives me a reason to be thankful, even when it might take 365 days to see it.




Comments

  1. I just wanted to share an album with you: HEARING THE VOICE OF GOD(ALBUM)


    HEARING THE VOICE OF GOD https://app.box.com/shared/h2x9b8q6xl

    LEARNING TO LISTEN FOR GOD https://app.box.com/s/bzhuq57iea15dw0ti3p3ewuaz63avs6i

    HEARING GODS VOICE https://app.box.com/s/pdrn00g3x8py8a6p1ds1

    WAYS THAT GODS SPEAKS TO US https://app.box.com/s/8zgbrcupln2tmursj9v0

    I hope that you are blessed by the messages.

    We also have included our Youtube link to about 70 videos.

    https://m.youtube.com/my_videos?o=U

    In Christ’s Service,

    Lee and Patricia

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

8 Months Later...

Eight months. That's how long the counseling process took me. It's also, ironically, the last time I published writing to this page. Eight whole months. My healing took almost the same amount of time it takes a new life to grow in a momma's womb. Part of me can't believe it. If I had known when I went into counseling that it would take that long for total healing, I don't know I would have continued. I was scared going in, that's for sure. What do I expect? What do I tell this stranger? How long do I continue to "willingly" dig into who I am and what built me and figure out what hurt me and why? These are some of the questions I thought. But at the same time, the other part of me can't believe it's only been eight months. Eight months of freedom, eight months of redemption, eight months of growth. Only eight months. I wanted to write on this blog several times because I seriously do love writing. I love how words are individual yet they

17 Imprints on my Heart

17 girls, 5 weeks...sounds daunting.  Daunting because for five weeks, I am going to be in charge on seventeen freshman-aged girls.  That's how I felt 6 weeks ago, when I started by job as an RA for CPYB's summer program. I didn't know what to expect. What would each girl bring to our hall, what I would bring to our hall, am I qualified to handle seventeen girls, do I even remember what being fourteen was like? All these doubts ran through my head. I was nervous yet excited, to say the least. Once I met these girls, I quickly realized how extremely humbling it is to have seventeen little sweets run to you. Run to you when they miss home, when they need bugs killed, when they need a smile, when they have questions about life, when they need something to do or  when they need a friend. Suddenly, I was responsible for making sure these kids have the best five weeks of their life.  Let me tell you something though. As much as I hope our five weeks together impact

I Don't Know

I remember "I don't know" was never an acceptable answer in school. It implied you weren't trying, didn't try hard enough or you gave up too soon. I remember thinking "I don't know" was just a huge embarrassment...how could you not know?  A big part of me understands that thought was from pressure I put on myself but there's also a little bit of me that wishes that wasn't something I was set up to believe to be true.  It may seem like that thought is coming out of nowhere (like hello? my last post was December 2016 for crying out loud!!) but lately I've been stuck in this feeling of I don't know . I've said it before , I'm a huge fan of words. The weight words carry, the vulnerability in discussion a can hold and how certain words can be life-changing. I'm also someone who has seldom felt a loss for words. I mean of course there are a few specific occasions that do come to mind; I am an emotional person. Even so, if I&