Skip to main content

The Work of A Soul Day

Today’s a “Kayla Soul day”. 

Which means it’s a sleep in late, read your Bible in bed, go for a long walk to have some sweet talks with Jesus, skip the makeup and wear your favorite hat, dream about the very business that you own, ask God to teach you more about yourself and rest in knowing his promises are real, all before noon kinda day. Sounds sweet, right? I highly recommend them. 

Anyway, on my walk with Jesus a few things happened and I really feel it placed on my heart to share. There's a couple things you, as my reader, should know before I share these things. First of all, I am currently in counseling. I've known I was going to blog about this in the near future but I wasn't sure when or how, but I think it's important to share today. I've only been going for two weeks now but it turns out to be the best thing I've ever done. Hands down. Side note: this is slightly ironic because when my dad first suggested the idea I freaked out. Like 3 year old tantrum, burst into tears, "how dare you think I could ever need something like that" freak out. It wasn't my finest moment. But! I think that's why it's so important for me to share that I am going to counseling.  If I freaked out about it because I thought it "wasn't for me" and "how dare anyone think I need counseling", then how many other people are thinking that? Here's an answer: too many. The truth is we're all broken, messed up people. We've all been through hurt, we've all experienced heartache and when we don't address that, it festers. Festering doesn't help when you're trying to heal. So, I'm proud to share that I'm doing this because I think mental health is important. Not just addressing mental illnesses and supporting those who have them but also just plain old mental health. Like physical health. At this point we know that exercise and healthy eating is the right way to go so why don't we talk about the fact that sometimes it takes talking with another skilled, highly education individual to help heal some heartache? I don't know. But I think we should talk about it. And talk about it proudly. Back to my point though, I'm going to counseling. I'm going to process through my heartache from Austin but also to process through life thus far. The truth is, my life hasn't been all sunshine and rainbows. I've grown up in a culture, the dance world, that hurls lies to you left and right. Luckily, I've had parents who raised me to know truth but when you hear lies from the age of 6 and up, they sometimes sink in more than you realize. 

I've been talking with my counselor about true identity and finding value in how God sees me rather than how this world sees me. Honestly, this is a struggle for me. I think I've shared this on my blog before but I put a lot of weight into what others say about me. So, I've been working to break that. She told me to prayerfully ask God to show me how he sees me because if I have that, no man can take that away (Insert all the praise hand emojis). This idea seems great and all but here's the thing. I've kind of lost sight of the power of prayer. When you grow up in the church, your dad works in the church, your best friends are from the church, sometimes it's easy to be numb to the truth that we can openly communicate with our Creator. 

So today on my walk, I said plain and simple "God, I know I've loved you for a long time but I have no clue what I'm doing here. I just want to know how you see me. I want to hear you and be near to you." and you know what. He freaking answered. I've seen creation in a way I've never seen before. It was amazing! Everything was vibrant and alive. I was in awe. I learned a lot about how He sees me too and that was the coolest of all. 

I'm not really sure why I'm sharing all this today to be honest. I just felt in placed on my heart to share. I think God is doing some big work in my life right now and maybe I'm encouraging you to let him to do some in yours too? I never had this crazy story of how God came in and completely changed the trajectory of my life but I do have a story. It's full of the redemptive work of God, where I've seen His grace and this unexplainable call to holiness and if you ask me, that is sweet story. 

So, I'll share my Soul days with you and recommend you to take one. I'll tell you I'm going to counseling and allowing God to move in and through me. I'll encourage you to just give prayer a shot, even if it seems to have lost its power for you. If you're anything like me, you might come out full of joy. 

And that, my friends, is the work of a soul day. 

Comments

  1. Hello Kayla. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am also blessed and feel privileged and honored to get connected with you as well as know you and about your love for the Lord Jesus Christ and seeking His direction. I am blessed by your very encouraging post. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged, strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 39 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come to Mumbai to work with us during your vacation time. I am sure you will have a life changing experience. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. god's richest blessings on you, your family and friends also wishing you and your family a blessed and a Christ centered rest of the year 2018. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful testimony of our faithful God bringing restoration to everything he breathes on! <3 God Bless!

    ~Lilly
    www.theoccupiedoptimist.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear friend, may I ask you for a favor? I am presently trying to enhance traffic in my company’s blog, as this would increase chances of the blog’s photos to appear in “Google Images”; this is very important for our work. Could you please visit our blog and browse for a couple of minutes. You may even learn about a new product there!
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

8 Months Later...

Eight months. That's how long the counseling process took me. It's also, ironically, the last time I published writing to this page. Eight whole months. My healing took almost the same amount of time it takes a new life to grow in a momma's womb. Part of me can't believe it. If I had known when I went into counseling that it would take that long for total healing, I don't know I would have continued. I was scared going in, that's for sure. What do I expect? What do I tell this stranger? How long do I continue to "willingly" dig into who I am and what built me and figure out what hurt me and why? These are some of the questions I thought. But at the same time, the other part of me can't believe it's only been eight months. Eight months of freedom, eight months of redemption, eight months of growth. Only eight months. I wanted to write on this blog several times because I seriously do love writing. I love how words are individual yet they

17 Imprints on my Heart

17 girls, 5 weeks...sounds daunting.  Daunting because for five weeks, I am going to be in charge on seventeen freshman-aged girls.  That's how I felt 6 weeks ago, when I started by job as an RA for CPYB's summer program. I didn't know what to expect. What would each girl bring to our hall, what I would bring to our hall, am I qualified to handle seventeen girls, do I even remember what being fourteen was like? All these doubts ran through my head. I was nervous yet excited, to say the least. Once I met these girls, I quickly realized how extremely humbling it is to have seventeen little sweets run to you. Run to you when they miss home, when they need bugs killed, when they need a smile, when they have questions about life, when they need something to do or  when they need a friend. Suddenly, I was responsible for making sure these kids have the best five weeks of their life.  Let me tell you something though. As much as I hope our five weeks together impact

I Don't Know

I remember "I don't know" was never an acceptable answer in school. It implied you weren't trying, didn't try hard enough or you gave up too soon. I remember thinking "I don't know" was just a huge embarrassment...how could you not know?  A big part of me understands that thought was from pressure I put on myself but there's also a little bit of me that wishes that wasn't something I was set up to believe to be true.  It may seem like that thought is coming out of nowhere (like hello? my last post was December 2016 for crying out loud!!) but lately I've been stuck in this feeling of I don't know . I've said it before , I'm a huge fan of words. The weight words carry, the vulnerability in discussion a can hold and how certain words can be life-changing. I'm also someone who has seldom felt a loss for words. I mean of course there are a few specific occasions that do come to mind; I am an emotional person. Even so, if I&