Skip to main content

A Day in the Life...

I designed this blog to help people from back home stay with me as I venture into this new chapter of my life. For the most part, its been pretty open and honest about my thoughts here and how I'm adjusting. A lot of people have really reached out, responding to my posts with encouragement which I greatly appreciate. Recently though, a close friend of mine pointed out that she was interested in what my day looked like, which is always kind of funny to me because I don't really see my life as too interesting. I'm just like the couple other hundred dancers I follow on Instagram or the majority of my friends here but to others, they are blown away by the idea of my lifestyle or rather, my career. Remembering the goal of this blog and the request my friend had put in for viewing "a day in my life", I decided to spend a day, shall we say, documenting an average work day for Kayla. It's my hope that this post stays true to the open and honest theme I have started but also helps my friends back home fully understand what happens down here! So without further ado, I present: 


Tuesday, October 27th, in the life of Kayla


I usually rise for the morning around 7:00 am, although sometimes that somehow snoozes into 7:10 but the goal is 7:00. From  there I usually make my bed then head to the bathroom to wash my face and start getting ready for the day. After washing my face, I put my hair up and put on my makeup. I typically spend 20 minutes, give or take a few, in the bathroom accomplishing all that. Then I change into "normal people clothes". Once I am ready for the day I head out to the kitchen to make breakfast. This morning I had a scrambled eggs with pepper, onion, and spinach and yogurt with granola. My breakfast changes every morning, mostly depending on the time I have. 


A complete visual of my breakfast (also the only time I will take pictures of my food)
                      

After eating, gathering my water bottle and bags, I am ready to leave! My goal departure time is anywhere between 7:45-7:50. Today I left a bit earlier, meaning five minutes, because I had to go pick up friends near by and give them a ride to ballet. Sometimes my roommates and I carpool together. We actually try to ride together as much as possible, mostly to save gas and share company, but it depends what our schedules look like and how much time each of us has before work.  



On the way to ballet!! (FYI: I was parked while
taking this selfie) 

Walking into ballet Austin






















I usually arrive to ballet between 8:15-8:20.  Once arriving to ballet, I change into my leotard and tights, put on my warm ups and fill up my water bottle. I like to be in the studio around 8:30, a half hour before class, so I can stretch and warm up. 



The beginning of my stretches featuring:
my ballet bag, water bottle,
thera-band and tennis ball 


Each morning we have a technique class from 9:00-10:30. The teacher changes everyday but the idea still stays the same: reinforcing our classical technique which is the basis for all we do. After technique class we usually have a pointe class, pas de deux (means: a dance for two people, also known as partnering) or rehearsal. Today I had rehearsal from 10:45-11:45. My rehearsal was for snow, which is a dance in "The Nutcracker". This season of "The Nutcracker" has already been very different for me. Since I am at Ballet Austin, we are doing Mr. Mills', the artistic director, Nutcracker but because I grew up watching and doing a different version, I am having to completely change my muscle memory.  It's already been quite a growing experience because I used to be so comfortable with all the choreography. I had rehearsed each part enough to know them by heart so I knew what to expect where as here, I am having to go into each rehearsal with an open mind and really focus on what my body should be doing each second. All that being said, I am very honored to be learning the roles I have been cast in and I am really looking forward to all that this Nutcracker season brings. 




My feet after 2 hours of pointe :)
**Disclaimer: The red on my toe pads is nail polish that has rubbed off,
NOT blood**

After rehearsal, I had a 15 minute break before Pilates from 12:00-1:00. Depending on the day I can finish as late as 3:00 or as early as 1:00. Today my day ended with Pilates so I was done at 1:00. After finishing for the day, I changed back into my "normal people clothes" and gathered my things to head home. Since I was done a bit earlier than usual today, I stayed at the studios for an extra half hour to watch the company rehearse. Another great thing about being here is the fact that I have a room full of professional dancers just across the hall from me. It's extremely motivating to learn from people who were once in my place and see how beautifully and elegantly they move. Watching the company dancers and even my peers really inspires me in discovering exactly what kind of artist I want to be. 


Walking back to the parking garage with 2 out of 3
of my roomies and another friend, Katie, from ballet! 

Another detailed image of my food



I left the studios around 1:40 which put me home just before 2:00. After arriving home, I prepared lunch because I was HUNGRY! For lunch I had what I would call a "Grilled Pita Supreme" with apples and peanut butter. Basically, it was just a turkey & cheese grilled cheese in pita bread with sauteed spinach, onions and peppers on top but it was delicious and I am quite proud of this creation. Once I finished eating, my dad called me and we talked for about 10 minutes but those ten minutes were probably the highlight of my day. After eating, I usually start to get ready for work. This means I shower, change from what I wore to ballet, in case it's sweaty, and re-do my makeup. For my 5:00 shift I like to leave my house at 4:30.
A glimpse of my (second) work place 



A pre-work selfie just outside my house :)






















Today I had work from 5:00-11:00, meaning I arrived home around 11:20. Since it's pretty late, I just had some pumpkin seeds for a snack and then I got ready for bed. After washing my face and changing into my jammies, I head to the couch for some devotions. If I'm going to be honest with you my dear readers, I would have to say that I really only began consistent devotions about a week or two ago. Moving here has really brought me further in my faith and so I made the conscious decision to spend at least a half hour every night with God. Right now, I'm reading the devotional "My Upmost for His Highest". My dad sent me this book and so far, I am really enjoying it. My goal bed time is usually 10:30 when I don't have to work. Since I did work, I went to bed at 12:00 which, unfortunately, is an average bedtime for a work night that ends at 11:00.

My bible (pink), journal (blue) and my devotional


And there you have it...a typical day in my life! Now you know why I don't think my life is that eventful, because really it's not! Although I have to admit, there was a piece of me that was kind of excited about sharing my day with you all. :)



Until next time,


Kayla 

Comments

  1. I feel like I know you a little better, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh, I love it Kayla! I am going to go back and read your older posts! I hope you're having a great time at Ballet Austin! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Becky!! I hope all is well with you and I miss you too!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the glimpse into your day for us non-ballet people ;) Love the shirt!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kayla, so proud of you and your dedication every day. I miss you so much and I love this blog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

8 Months Later...

Eight months. That's how long the counseling process took me. It's also, ironically, the last time I published writing to this page. Eight whole months. My healing took almost the same amount of time it takes a new life to grow in a momma's womb. Part of me can't believe it. If I had known when I went into counseling that it would take that long for total healing, I don't know I would have continued. I was scared going in, that's for sure. What do I expect? What do I tell this stranger? How long do I continue to "willingly" dig into who I am and what built me and figure out what hurt me and why? These are some of the questions I thought. But at the same time, the other part of me can't believe it's only been eight months. Eight months of freedom, eight months of redemption, eight months of growth. Only eight months. I wanted to write on this blog several times because I seriously do love writing. I love how words are individual yet they

17 Imprints on my Heart

17 girls, 5 weeks...sounds daunting.  Daunting because for five weeks, I am going to be in charge on seventeen freshman-aged girls.  That's how I felt 6 weeks ago, when I started by job as an RA for CPYB's summer program. I didn't know what to expect. What would each girl bring to our hall, what I would bring to our hall, am I qualified to handle seventeen girls, do I even remember what being fourteen was like? All these doubts ran through my head. I was nervous yet excited, to say the least. Once I met these girls, I quickly realized how extremely humbling it is to have seventeen little sweets run to you. Run to you when they miss home, when they need bugs killed, when they need a smile, when they have questions about life, when they need something to do or  when they need a friend. Suddenly, I was responsible for making sure these kids have the best five weeks of their life.  Let me tell you something though. As much as I hope our five weeks together impact

I Don't Know

I remember "I don't know" was never an acceptable answer in school. It implied you weren't trying, didn't try hard enough or you gave up too soon. I remember thinking "I don't know" was just a huge embarrassment...how could you not know?  A big part of me understands that thought was from pressure I put on myself but there's also a little bit of me that wishes that wasn't something I was set up to believe to be true.  It may seem like that thought is coming out of nowhere (like hello? my last post was December 2016 for crying out loud!!) but lately I've been stuck in this feeling of I don't know . I've said it before , I'm a huge fan of words. The weight words carry, the vulnerability in discussion a can hold and how certain words can be life-changing. I'm also someone who has seldom felt a loss for words. I mean of course there are a few specific occasions that do come to mind; I am an emotional person. Even so, if I&