Skip to main content

Rest Easy, Little Mind

Let me start by simply saying the obvious: it's been a while. It's been awhile because honestly, my brain has been all over the place recently. I mean this physically with work, ballet, grocery shopping, cooking, laundry, etc (when did I become so lame???) but also mentally. I've had so many different thoughts lately and for a while I thought they didn't have a connection but sitting here and actually processing, I've realized they are all connected to one thing: Home. 

The first place that my brain has been in is Pennsylvania, for the sole reason of missing it. I'm not sure if I'm missing home more than usual right now because fall, my favorite season, doesn't exist here or because it's been a month and a half since I've had a good mom hug. Probably a little bit of both. Anyway, more often than not I find myself imagining how amazing it's going to feel December 23rd (or 24th....Dad and I are still discussing traveling dates. You can guess which date I'm rooting for ;) ) when I'm on the plane that takes me home. I find myself dreaming of laughing with my brothers and just being in the presence of the people I love most. I catch myself thinking about running and holding my best friends so close when we reunite because I really can't wait to see them. As great as Skype is, you can't hug through a screen. Don't get me wrong, I love my new adventure, my new friends, my constant self-discoveries but in all honesty, I hate that I'm 2200 miles away. 2200 miles away from watching my brothers get personal records in sports, from helping them figure out how to get a guest pass to homecoming, from celebrating Anti-marathon day with my dad and from face to face conversations with my mom. I know I'm supposed to be here, I know I'm supposed to learn how to spread my wings but right now, or lately, my wings would like a rest. 

Even with all that missing-home-emptiness I've been feeling, I did have a highlight yesterday. I stopped my the local grocery store, HEB, to grab some milk (since now I'm in charge of getting those things for myself...) and as I was waiting for my roommate by the door, I looked up and someone waved to me. This someone was a coworker, which seems like something small  but for me it wasn't. For the first time since being in Austin, I saw someone I knew that wasn't a roommate or from ballet. This coworker and I had a small conversation before going our separate ways but honestly, it meant a lot to me. I finally felt fully adjusted here. Fully adjusted enough to be able to run into someone at the grocery store and say hi. I'm not just a girl living here anymore, I'm here as a living, breathing, functioning girl. I'm meeting people, doing things, living life which is exactly what I would be doing back home. To me that's comforting. Knowing that while I desperately wish, more than anything, I could hop in a car and drive three hours to be home for fall break, I can't. Reality is I won't be home until Christmas, so until then I will be here. I will be here running into friends at the grocery store, laughing with  my roommates, dancing hard, working hard, really doing life here so that when I do return home, my wings can rest easy. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

8 Months Later...

Eight months. That's how long the counseling process took me. It's also, ironically, the last time I published writing to this page. Eight whole months. My healing took almost the same amount of time it takes a new life to grow in a momma's womb. Part of me can't believe it. If I had known when I went into counseling that it would take that long for total healing, I don't know I would have continued. I was scared going in, that's for sure. What do I expect? What do I tell this stranger? How long do I continue to "willingly" dig into who I am and what built me and figure out what hurt me and why? These are some of the questions I thought. But at the same time, the other part of me can't believe it's only been eight months. Eight months of freedom, eight months of redemption, eight months of growth. Only eight months. I wanted to write on this blog several times because I seriously do love writing. I love how words are individual yet they

17 Imprints on my Heart

17 girls, 5 weeks...sounds daunting.  Daunting because for five weeks, I am going to be in charge on seventeen freshman-aged girls.  That's how I felt 6 weeks ago, when I started by job as an RA for CPYB's summer program. I didn't know what to expect. What would each girl bring to our hall, what I would bring to our hall, am I qualified to handle seventeen girls, do I even remember what being fourteen was like? All these doubts ran through my head. I was nervous yet excited, to say the least. Once I met these girls, I quickly realized how extremely humbling it is to have seventeen little sweets run to you. Run to you when they miss home, when they need bugs killed, when they need a smile, when they have questions about life, when they need something to do or  when they need a friend. Suddenly, I was responsible for making sure these kids have the best five weeks of their life.  Let me tell you something though. As much as I hope our five weeks together impact

I Don't Know

I remember "I don't know" was never an acceptable answer in school. It implied you weren't trying, didn't try hard enough or you gave up too soon. I remember thinking "I don't know" was just a huge embarrassment...how could you not know?  A big part of me understands that thought was from pressure I put on myself but there's also a little bit of me that wishes that wasn't something I was set up to believe to be true.  It may seem like that thought is coming out of nowhere (like hello? my last post was December 2016 for crying out loud!!) but lately I've been stuck in this feeling of I don't know . I've said it before , I'm a huge fan of words. The weight words carry, the vulnerability in discussion a can hold and how certain words can be life-changing. I'm also someone who has seldom felt a loss for words. I mean of course there are a few specific occasions that do come to mind; I am an emotional person. Even so, if I&