Skip to main content

Braver

Hello from California! That's right, we made it. On July 9th (at 6:00 am, might I add), we pulled into the driveway of our new house. We were exhausted from a TERRIBLE day of travel the day before (car broke down 3 times, stranded on the side of the highway twice, spent 3 hours in an auto shop, ended up leaving a car in Vegas, and driving through the night) but also from all the adventuring we had been doing for the two weeks prior. Honestly, even with our awful last day of travel, I think those two weeks may go into my most favorite memories jar. There's nothing better than two with weeks with your family, exploring all the beautiful places this country has to offer. 

Anyway, I'm not going to spend a whole blog post just writing about the trip, even though I totally could, because truth is, after my last post I've been kind of silent on my blog. I'm noticing there's a (not so great) pattern with that. It seems after some of my harder posts to share, it takes me a while to write again which isn't necessarily bad but it isn't necessarily good, especially when the point of the blog is to share my heart.

So let me catch you up, dear reader. Since my last post , I have had so many different emotions. First, I was so encouraged. So many people spoke such uplifting and kind words to me which aided in my upcoming transitional phase. Then I moved pack to PA for 3 weeks or so and I have to admit, that was weird. Don't get me wrong, I love my hometown. I loved being with family and the friends I hold dearest to my heart but being there made me feel like all I had endured that year put me right back where I was, even though I know that's not true. I guess a better way to put it is I just felt like I was in this "waiting game". I didn't have time to get into a set routine, I didn't have time to put my roots back down again (even though I already had some there), and I had way too much time to think to the future and w o r r y. It's hard to be excited about a change when you can't see it or imagine it yet. And that, my reader, was oh so hard. It was hard to worry after I just felt so free. It was hard to remind myself that what's coming next is going to be great and fruitful. It was hard to not feel peace, especially when no one around you seems to either (and rightfully so, we were moving across country to a whole new place of unknown). 

Flash forward to today, when for the first time I realized something was different in my heart. I was listening to "Braver Still" by JJ Helller when I heard these lyrics:
I spent my whole life running
Trying to find a place to rest
Why did it take a wound like this
To let you hold me to your chest?

Now I can hear you breathe
You're singing over me
You're making me believe
In something better

Even if the dreams  I had turned into dust
There's no wreckage that's too broken to rebuild
The world is just as scary as I thought it was
But your love makes me braver still
Your love makes me braver...

And friends, that's my new anthem. It's my new anthem because it's so beyond true. It's taken me this week of new, unknown, and being present (because I have no other option) to realize this year I spent running. Running towards a new setting, different circumstances, more confidence (all of which have come true, different than I envisioned, but they all came true. God's funny like that....) that I didn't realize I needed to rest. But now I am resting and by no means do I mean that I'm spending this new season being lazy. I mean I am resting in the truth that God is making me brave. He's using this season of my life to slow me down and say "let me hold you, Kayla. Let me show you've all I created you to be."  

It's weird to say this but in just one week, I'm feeling more and more like myself again. I'm not saying I'm completely healed from the "wreckage" that I suffered through this year. I'm not saying that nothing is ever going to go wrong again or that I'm going to doubt again because after all, I am a sinner, but I am saying His love does make me braver. It makes me braver to trust in the fact that my life may not be what I planned or envisioned, and that's just as beautiful. It may not be similar to anyone around me, and that's just as beautiful. It may involve a season of rest and that's just as beautiful. His love makes me braver to graciously embrace this season of change and look for every opportunity to find God's goodness, sovereignty, and peace around me. His love makes me braver than I've ever been and for that I am thankful. 



For your listening pleasure:

Comments

  1. Kayla,
    I hope you like it here in CA. When I was maybe 11y/o my family took an Amtrak and moved to CA from MI. This is an amazing land and the adventure never stops.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

8 Months Later...

Eight months. That's how long the counseling process took me. It's also, ironically, the last time I published writing to this page. Eight whole months. My healing took almost the same amount of time it takes a new life to grow in a momma's womb. Part of me can't believe it. If I had known when I went into counseling that it would take that long for total healing, I don't know I would have continued. I was scared going in, that's for sure. What do I expect? What do I tell this stranger? How long do I continue to "willingly" dig into who I am and what built me and figure out what hurt me and why? These are some of the questions I thought. But at the same time, the other part of me can't believe it's only been eight months. Eight months of freedom, eight months of redemption, eight months of growth. Only eight months. I wanted to write on this blog several times because I seriously do love writing. I love how words are individual yet they

17 Imprints on my Heart

17 girls, 5 weeks...sounds daunting.  Daunting because for five weeks, I am going to be in charge on seventeen freshman-aged girls.  That's how I felt 6 weeks ago, when I started by job as an RA for CPYB's summer program. I didn't know what to expect. What would each girl bring to our hall, what I would bring to our hall, am I qualified to handle seventeen girls, do I even remember what being fourteen was like? All these doubts ran through my head. I was nervous yet excited, to say the least. Once I met these girls, I quickly realized how extremely humbling it is to have seventeen little sweets run to you. Run to you when they miss home, when they need bugs killed, when they need a smile, when they have questions about life, when they need something to do or  when they need a friend. Suddenly, I was responsible for making sure these kids have the best five weeks of their life.  Let me tell you something though. As much as I hope our five weeks together impact

I Don't Know

I remember "I don't know" was never an acceptable answer in school. It implied you weren't trying, didn't try hard enough or you gave up too soon. I remember thinking "I don't know" was just a huge embarrassment...how could you not know?  A big part of me understands that thought was from pressure I put on myself but there's also a little bit of me that wishes that wasn't something I was set up to believe to be true.  It may seem like that thought is coming out of nowhere (like hello? my last post was December 2016 for crying out loud!!) but lately I've been stuck in this feeling of I don't know . I've said it before , I'm a huge fan of words. The weight words carry, the vulnerability in discussion a can hold and how certain words can be life-changing. I'm also someone who has seldom felt a loss for words. I mean of course there are a few specific occasions that do come to mind; I am an emotional person. Even so, if I&